Saturday 14 December 2019

Bridge Poems

Bridge Poems was one of the first books David sent me. I was unsure of his work – reading it was quite unlike anything I had tackled before. It wasn’t long before the words were a kaleidoscope of images drawn from so many sources, some better known than others, but all within the realms of my reading and living experiences. 


Correspondence middle 2019: David and Painting and The Bridge

I stopped painting because I am focused entirely on writing poetry. When I wrote Bridge Poems, I was inspired by the bridge in Baltimore near MICA (Maryland Institute College of Arts). It was old and rusted at the time but has since been repainted in bright colors. I did a large oil painting of the bridge vaulting over a night city street scene which I used for the cover of the Bridge Poems book. I have not felt inspiration since that time to do another painting. (13 Nov 2019). I had a passion to paint since high school. Going into college, I wanted to study painting and philosophy but could not because at the University of Illinois I had to choose between the college of art or the college of LAS/Liberal Arts and Sciences and chose LAS with a major in philosophy and a minor in English. I was inspired by Hart Crane's poem The Bridge, about the Brooklyn Bridge, although the perspective on technology is opposite - in the early 20th century: he marvelled at the creation of the bridge and my perspective on the bridge in Baltimore was oriented towards the landscape of urban decay.

(From Amazon)
·       Paperback: 82 pages
·       Publisher: Six Gallery Press (April 11, 2007)
·       Language: English
·       ISBN-10: 097829615X
·       ISBN-13: 978-0978296155
·       Product Dimensions: 5 x 0.2 x 8 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment