Tuesday 18 August 2015

Reacting to Renee (Omnibus). Renee Leslie/Cheryl Penn (South Africa)..


Reacting to Renee (Omnibus)   
Renee Leslie/Cheryl Penn (South Africa).
Colophon: unique collaborative artists book.  Mixed media including drawing, digital prints, text, collage, sewing, painting, 32 pages with pockets. Dated September 2009.

Its quite strange looking back to the beginning of making books. I had forgotten so many things.  Reopening these works has been a joy on every occasion.  Using ‘X’ as a character, I responded to some drawings Renee swopped with me or visa versa.  They were dreams I had had, and although when I first looked again, some of the drawings seem irrelevant, they were absolutely not.  One dream:


X hummed love among the ruins whilst sitting on a rickety chair looking at a set of ruins.  A lonely chair in a lonely spot.  It was growing dark, but X kept seeing a flash of blue among the dereliction. A LARGE blue chameleon emerged from the rubble, sitting on a broken pillar, blinking morosely at X.  The chameleon suddenly JUMPED and wrapped its legs about X’s neck.  X got such a fright! But all the chameleon needed was love among the ruins.  I smile as I remember this, so clearly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment