Saturday 18 July 2015

Handspun. Liz Vels (South Africa)

Handspun
Umsinsi Press, Artists Book,  210mm x 297mm, dated 31 December 1998, Malvern, 46 pages & art illustrations.  BUT I have a hand made, signed copy with covers, binding, notes and colours by Liz Vels.  Dedication - For Cheryl who makes books with love and thanks, Liz.
I met Liz while doing research on South African artists books.  She welcomed me to her home and I saw so many treasures that day I cannot begin to describe.  She was absolutely free with her knowledge and generous with her gift.  A poem from the book:

 GENESIS
Did you speak with your hands
flatten deserts in the wind
wave mountains
voice birds in the sling of Your arm
whisper trees through bent fingers?

Was Adam mouthed in locked embrace

to keep us face to face?

No comments:

Post a Comment