Monday 20 July 2015

Symons, Catherine (South Africa) Untitled

Untitled

While doing research at DUT on the history of books and papermaking, Tony Starkey and I reopened the paper making study which had been in mothballs since The Great Move.  Making paper was a wondrous experience -  I was then in control of the whole book making process. I inherited a student at this time who was also working with paper processes.  I think she is now a window dresser for some famous shop in London, but I bought this small book at  her final exhibition.  Its an old photograph album filled with unusual ephemera instead of photographs. It speaks of miserable memories, and incidents best forgotten, but now embedded in handmade paper. We are all mind and handmade people - good imprints are all that should be left behind, but these impressions are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment